The Institute of Art and Law and Fladgate LLP will be hosting an afternoon seminar in London on 15 June called Art, Luxury Assets and the ‘Three Ds’: Debt, Divorce and Death. The topic relates to how art and luxury assets are managed during the moments of great upheaval in life: namely debt, divorce and death – the ‘three Ds’. This will include discussions on the challenges that such moments present, in relation to joint ownership, division of assets and inheritance, but also ways of resolving them. The difficult question of valuation for art and luxury assets will be considered, both from a legal and an appraisal angle. Lastly, the seminar will cover cross-border issues, such as jurisdictional disputes and questions of restitution. Note that tax matters may be mentioned, but these will not form the core subject of any presentation.
To read more about this topic, see our recent interview with Fladgate’s Hetty Gleave, one of the organisers of the event and a long-standing member of IAL.
Location: Fladgate LLP, 16 Great Queen Street, London WC2B 5DG
Date and time: 15th June 2023, from 1.30 pm to 5.30 pm, followed by a reception, kindly hosted by Fladgate LLP
Cost: £96.00 (including VAT). 50% discount for IAL members (and UKRG / BADA members)
Topics and speakers
Introducing ‘the three Ds’: the law as it relates to debt, divorce and death, with the following speakers:
- Geoffrey Bennett, Senior Fellow, Institute of Art and Law
- Rebecca Christie, Associate, Fladgate LLP
- Luke Harris, Barrister, 5 Stone Buildings
International issues that arise in cross-border disputes involving such matters, with the following speakers:
- Tom Bolam, Partner, Fladgate LLP
- James Ruddell, Barrister, One Essex Court
- Alexander Herman, Director, Institute of Art and Law
How to undertake valuation and distribution of art and luxury assets, with the following speakers:
- Hetty Gleave, Partner, Fladgate LLP
- Harvey Cammell, Global Director: Valuations, Trusts & Estates, Bonhams
- Dr Jack Ogden FSA FGA, gemologist and appraiser
This event qualifies for CLE/CPD credit. We look forward to seeing many of you there!