Distance Learning, Seminar-based and In-house courses
The Institute of Art and Law offers three different types of courses: distance learning, seminar-based and in-house.
Our distance learning courses are comprised of a series of comprehensive, self-teaching modules. Each module comes with a detailed commentary on an aspect of art and heritage law, relevant statutory materials, case summaries and further reading in the form of academic literature. Students are provided with a tutor to oversee their progression.
Studies can begin as soon as an applicant has been accepted onto a distance learning course and may be undertaken at your own pace. The courses are as follows:
- Diploma in Art Law – intended for those with legal training
- Foundation Certificate in Art Law – intended for those without any legal training
- Preparatory Certificate in Art Law – a primer on English law for those trained in other legal systems
Our intensive and interactive seminar-based courses are run throughout the year and offer expert insight for both museum and legal professionals. Led by experts from the Institute of Art and Law and external guest speakers, these courses will help you and your organisation get up to the mark in complex areas of art law.
Course structure varies from three consecutive days to seven sessions spaced over seven months. Assessment is required to receive a diploma.
- The Diploma in Art Profession Law and Ethics – a comprehensive course for both the legally and non-legally trained
- The Diploma in Law and Collections Management – intended for museum, gallery and other art market professionals
- The Diploma in Intellectual Property and Collections – an intensive course open to all
The Institute of Art and Law offers expert in-house training courses for museums, auction houses, law firms, insurance companies and government bodies. These bespoke training courses can last from one to five days and cover the essential areas of law that affect the day-to-day practice of professionals in this field. Session topics can cover acquisition, ownership, loans, gifts, intellectual property, imports, exports, immunity from seizure and restitution or repatriation. Attendees will receive an IAL Certificate upon completion.
An application is required for all distance learning and seminar-based courses. Please visit the relevant course to download the application form.
Application processing generally takes three to four weeks, depending on how quickly we receive a reply from your referees.
Nothing taught or provided on the courses should be taken as legal advice.